Issue 79 of Blocks, the LEGO magazine for fans, gets under the dome of R2-D2. The beloved Star Wars character who speaks in beeps and boops has a new LEGO set – 10278 R2-D2 – so we’re celebrating the heroic droid with an exclusive interview. Don Bies and Lee Towersey reveal how they brought the character to life for the prequels, sequels and a few appearances in between.
All prices include delivery.
It’s not just the Star Wars sound stages that the stories come from though, with the LEGO design team in Billund sharing their secrets. A special feature looks at the design process behind the Winnie the Pooh set that came from a fan’s imagination, including a look at how the Eeyore figure was developed. For fans of real-world LEGO models, we also get the low-down on 10283 NASA Space Shuttle Discovery from the model and element designers who worked on it.
There’s a stacked Reviews section in Issue 79 – as well as reviews of the new Star Wars sets, 10283 NASA Space Shuttle Discovery and 21326 Winnie the Pooh, we cast a careful eye over the new Looney Tunes Collectible Minifigures, Marvel sets, Harry Potter builds and 42125 Ferrari 488 GTE ‘AF Corse #51’.
It wouldn’t be a LEGO magazine without some build inspiration, and the Technique guide demonstrates how to provide tech for your minifigures – from sleek modern machines to retro 1990s PCs. In Blockstalgia, there’s a modern version of King Kahuka’s throne from the Pirates Islanders subtheme, with instructions showing how to build it.
Also in Issue 79:
- Top 10 LEGO droids.
- Inside the new Star Wars helmets and Probe Droid set.
- Collectible Minifigures – should they come in boxes or bags?
- Checking out the Sutton Hoo helmet, a historical build gathering support on Ideas.
- A theme has broken the Blocks review scoring system – we reveal what and why.
- The best fan MOCs from around the world, including a Clikits house.
- There’s only one way to use the ornamental fish piece… right?
- LEGO Friends is an evergreen theme today – we recall the controversial early days.
- Plus much more!
Win LEGO sets! To be in with a chance of winning 75308 R2-D2, 75302 Imperial Shuttle and 75306 Imperial Probe Droid, order a Blocks magazine subscription before June 2, 2021. All subscribers are entered into a new prize draw every month – plus they get their copy of the magazine early.